Tuesday, January 6, 2015

FILIPA OLIVEIRA JEWELLERY

18K Gold Vermeil  Strata Necklace
The quiet Portuguese town of Nazare is widely considered Portugal’s “best beach destination.” 

A one-time fishing village, the town offers long beaches, locals dressed in vivid traditional garb, and the exemplary cuisine found at Avenida Marginal

Portugal is also the ancestral home of featured jewelry designer Filipa Oliveira.

As beautiful as the wares of designer jewelry brands like Georland can be, I enjoy seeing jewelry styles that are a little less pristine and a little . . . I daresay. . .predictable.

Oliveira’s expressive handmade jewelry creations of sterling silver, 18-karat gold vermeil and gemstones highlight crystal-like textures, abstract geometrics and a modernized take on the centuries-old filigree technique. 

Though classically styled the details of bark-like textures and color contrasts of gold and blackened silver bring vitality to her stylish (and affordable) jewelry brand.

Like many of her contemporaries, Oliveira was exposed to crafts at a young age and in later years found herself returning to a true passion. 

“I still remember how excited I was when my mother took me to a beads shop.  Seeing all those colors was so exciting, but it wasn’t until nine years later that I realized I wanted to be a jeweler,” she recalls.
18K Gold Vermeil Strata Ring with Sapphires,
Tourmaline and Blue Jade
The 2013 recipient of the IJL Editor’s Choice Award for Technical Excellence, Oliveira relocated to Scotland, where she still resides, at the age of eighteen to study jewelry design at the University of Dundee.  While developing her craft she hoped to integrate a little something of herself into her jewelry collections.

“Cultural heritage should be preserved, shared and celebrated.  I design jewelry inspired by my Portuguese culture as a tribute to it.  I create contemporary filigree jewelry.
18K Gold Vermeil  Strata Earrings with Sapphires,
Tourmaline and Blue Jade

Filigree is associated with and a reflection of different cultures and times.

I work every day to create quality jewelry and to contribute to the lives of the ones connected to my jewelry.”

1 comment:

Kiaan Bhatt said...

The blog is very informative. Thanks for sharing this wonderful article. For more information related to gold vermeil jewellery, you can contact the gold and rose gold vermeil jewellery store.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...