Wednesday, August 14, 2013

LISA SALZER | LULU FROST

One-of-a-kind Earrings II with Red Resin
and Rhinestones
Formerly known as the RCA Building, the GE Building is an Art Deco skyscraper that serves as the “centerpiece” of Rockefeller Center in Manhattan, New York.

Its observation deck, known as the “Top the Rock,” provides a stunning panoramic view of the city.

New York is also home to featured jewelry designer Lisa Salzer.

Vintage jewelry is a popular fashion commodity right now.  Curators Tracy Smith of House of Lavande and Camilla Dietz Bergeron of CDB Estate Jewelry have respectively unearthed stunning jewelry of the ages from 1920s Machine Age Bakelite to rare designs by Christian Dior and Cartier

In addition 1stdibs.com is hyped as the “world’s leading online marketplace” for vintage designs from the Victorian Age to contemporary classics of the 21st century.

Lastly, jewelry designers Liz Law (USA) and Coll Smith (England) of Armcandii build magnificent pieces by upcycling vintage jewelry components within a fresh, modern context. 

For me vintage jewelry is more timeless than let’s say heart, four leaf clover or wishbone pendant necklaces. I say this because vintage jewelry shows the actual flow of time: socio-economic changes as well as the correlating changes in jewelry style and the materials used to produce them.

Salzer’s eight-year-old brand, Lulu Frost, is inspired by none other than the unique style of estate jewelry.  Collections featuring cuff bracelets, choker necklaces, and dangle earrings are vibrant, diverse, modern and fashionable without ever letting go of what makes vintage jewelry. . .well. . .vintage jewelry.

Single Mesh Choker Necklace with Gold Plated
Brass and Brooch Inlay
These designs are consummate statement pieces with inlaid crystals; etched and carved resin, layered chains; porcupine quills; and even bronze cast initial and number pendants adapted in the iconic font of New York's Plaza Hotel. 

Salzer’s glamorous handmade jewelry creations are informed by style icons Marchesa Casati, Nancy Cunard and Elsa Schiaparelli, and more importantly by Salzer’s grandmother, Elizabeth Rock Frost.

“The brand’s name is derived from my nickname 'Lulu' and my grandmother’s last name 'Frost'.  My grandmother came to the United States from England when she was thirteen years old.

She was a very old school British woman.  She loved vintage jewelry and managed an estate jewelry store,” explains Salzer.  “So I grew up surrounded by these wonderful remnants from various time periods.”

“I studied art history at Dartmouth and I had an internship with a New York designer during my sophomore year.  At that time I started sourcing vintage jewelry from flea markets and garage sales.  I would take these pieces, rebuild them and sell them to older girls at Dartmouth.

In 2004, I decided I wanted to take a full year to launch the brand.  I took a business course during the summer that I attended six days out of the week.  After that I moved to New York and worked with my sister at an orthodontist’s office to fund the business.”

In time with a glowing mention on influential lifestyle website Daily Candy, and landing coveted retailer Barneys New York, the Lulu Frost brand began to solidify into a viable presence.

“I love what I do.  I always loved selling and worked at places like Abercrombie and J. Crew.  I love how nurturing and supportive New York is to creative people.  I want to continue to blend vintage, antique and modern elements reinventing them into timeless classics.”

Vintage Cut -Steel Cuff Bracelet
2013 Jewelry Trend AlertVintage-inspired jewelry is huge this year not to mention chunky, big jewelry.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...