Tuesday, September 18, 2012

VANESSA KANDIYOTI


18K Rose Gold Diamond Hoop Earrings
The Grand Palace, located in Brussels, Belgium, is a town square that houses magnificent 15th and 16th century architecture in the guise of Brussels City Hall and the King’s House.  

In addition every two years in August the grounds of the town square are covered with a flower carpet of begonias.  Belgium is also the birthplace of Vanessa Kandiyoti.

In all frankness, depending on how it is executed, classically styled clothing or jewelry can be a bit stagnant and boring.  

On the other hand, purity of design can be absolutely stunning like the sleeveless, black satin Givenchy dress Audrey Hepburn wore in Breakfast at Tiffany’s.

With this in mind, Kandiyoti designs breathtakingly beautiful, minimalist jewelry items that pay homage to the Evil Eye.  As I have opined on several occasions charm jewelry can easily become cutesy but Kandiyoti brings a modern sophistication to this oft done charm that is quite striking.

Her updated version is more a variation of the Evil Eye rather than the customary eye-shape design.  Her pendant necklace designs for instance are essentially an 18-karat yellow and rose gold circular disc encrusted with complementary pavĂ© set gemstones including pink diamonds, blue sapphires and rubies that form a circular center “eye.”  I have to say Kandiyoti’s choice to bling up her jewelry makes what could be bland absolutely fabulous!

18K Rose Gold Evil Eye Pendant Necklace
with Pink and Yellow Sapphires

“I studied law and I always loved jewelry and culture.  I am Turkish but was born in Belgium.  I was raised in a Turkish home filled with superstition and beautiful traditions,” she explains. 

“On a backpacking trip to Latin America, I discovered a love for gemstones and never looked back.  I officially launched my brand in 2007.  The idea of the evil eye and its significance are very close to my heart and is the focal point of my brand.  Making women feel protected while looking strong and elegant is what I wanted to achieve with my jewelry.”

Though Kandiyoti gives a nod to other universal symbols like snakes, starfish, hamsa hands and flowers the Evil Eye is dominant.  She displays her fascination with it in both her Candy Shop, and Fresh & Wild collections the latter of which highlight the symbol in its traditional form including the blue eye Turkish version.

“I work with a Turkish jewelry designer who interprets what I need.  We have a good balance.  All of the gemstones implemented are conflict-free.  I love champagne and white diamonds, and I will always love the Evil Eye.”
18K Yellow Gold Violet Eye Charm Bracelet
with Macrame Cord and Diamonds

A selection of items from Kandiyoti’s luxury brand is avaialable for purchase online at Net-A-Porter.com.

2 comments:

Carlotta said...

Thx so much "silver charms". Be sure to FOLLOW my blog on your next visit.

Unknown said...

There are many types of silver findings, the most common of them are: crimp breads, clasps, earring wires, headpins, et cetera. These findings are usually done out of sterling silver, making every finding piece quite valuable. There are of course many others, more specialized and complex used for specially customized jewelry.

Fort Lauderdale jewelers

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...