Wednesday, September 26, 2012

MADE KENCANA


Sterling Silver Black Sun Pendant Necklace
with Black Onyx
The community of Tana Toraja, located in the highlands of Sulawesi, Indonesia, is steeped in preserving cultural traditions that include funeral rites and the construction of the tongkonan house with their distinctive peaked roofs.  Indonesia is also home to Made Kencana.

According to PhnomPenhPost.com Cambodian youths are not terribly interested in preserving traditional handicrafts not because they do not respect it, to the contrary.

Some feel they have no natural talent for it while others recognize that an artistic field generally does not provide a stable source of income.

Reading this got me to thinking about the level of artistic history Kencana brings to his stunning jewelry collections of sterling silver and semi-precious gemstones.   Each granule, lace pattern and tendril holds a remarkable tradition of craftsmanship.

Sterling Silver Moonlight Bracelet
with Pearl and Amethyst
Fauna and flora inspire his beautifully crafted handmade jewelry designs of silver pendants, dangle earrings and silver bracelets.  The father of two seamlessly blends minimalist proportions with captivating intricacy making each piece a delicate work of art.

“I was born in a Balinese town that is known for its silverwork so I began learning about silversmithing from a family member who taught me after I came home from school.
Sterling Silver Lace Halo Dangle Earrings
with Garnet
Eventually I learned to design rings, earrings and brooches.

My wife and I create jewelry in our home and our dream is to see my jewelry worn by people around the world.”

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...