Wednesday, February 16, 2011

HEMA

At over a thousand years old, India’s Ellora Caves is a stunning archaeological site that highlights a rock carved temple of Buddha; and thirty-four caves that represent the faiths of Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism. India is also the home of featured jewelry designer Hema.

The offspring of jewelry artisans Hema spent her early life exposed to the cosmopolitan surroundings of Delhi.

The eclectic range of handicrafts she saw would serve to influence her modern jewelry designs.

“My father is a wonderful artist and does his work with great grace and detail,” says Hema. “I learned the art of jewelry making from my father. My family has created silver jewelry for four decades. When I was really young, I knew basic techniques but I never actually got into it until after I graduated.”

In my opinion, Hema’s delicate silver jewelry exemplifies the classic aesthetic; stylish and feminine. Her handmade jewelry designs of citrine necklaces, pearl pendants, cross pendants, and charm and tennis bracelets are clean and sophisticated.


The subtle, sleek lineation is reminiscent of Art Deco jewelry designs while the accents of smooth cabochon, marquise and faceted tear drop cuts highlight an assortment of gemstones including moonstone, green onyx, and amethyst.

Hema does not stray far from her Indian heritage implementing lovely and complex jali (cutout work) and embossed surfaces. Her Silver Cocoons and Silver Webs items are striking originals fashioned from crocheted sterling silver wires.

“I am constantly working on something new because I like to keep busy. Being from Delhi I was always captivated by the unique beauty of Indian handicrafts.


Delhi does not focus on just one art form but offers the ancient beauty of Mughal art; the exotic crafts from the hills or the traditional art of central India.

I am always excited to see something new. It gives me great joy when people appreciate my efforts.”
_________________
Photo 1 (top right): Sterling Silver and Amethyst Mughal Princess Necklace
Photo 2 (center): Sterling Silver Pearl Snow Blossom Earrings with Cubic Zirconia
Photo 3 (bottom left): Sterling Silver Royal Sunflower Cuff Bracelet with Yellow Quartz

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...