Friday, November 13, 2009

MICHAL GOLAN

24K Gold Plated and Enamel Double Medallion
with Swarovski Crystals and Glass Beads
The varied grounds of the Jerusalem Botanical Gardens in Israel feature six, distinctive areas patterned after the plants' region of origin.

Israel is also the birthplace of featured jewelry designer Michal Golan.

Golan's kaleidoscopic jewelry brings to mind the vivid colors of embroidered tapestries. Influenced by Victorian and Byzantine art and jewelry, Golan's pieces possess a distinctive, unrefined Old World quality.

The overall form of the pieces--fashioned with 24-karat gold plating, and the spectacular hues of multi-colored Swarovski Crystals and glass beads--is clear-cut.

However, the mosaic-like arrangement of the stones, the color combinations, and the varied sizes of the stones provide an opulent and substantial appearance.

The daughter of a scientist, Golan accompanied her father to the United States while he worked for the National Bureau of Standards.  A graduate of the University of Maryland, and New York University, Golan respectively earned a Bachelor of Arts in Graphic Design, and a Masters Degree in Studio Art.

"While I attended NYU, I began making jewelry to sell at craft shows and festivals to support myself," she recalls. "Once I graduated from NYU, I started making jewelry full-time."

An early introduction to museums and art whet Golan's appetite for creative expression. "Since I was a child, I have always loved going to museums and viewing art," she says. "I am constantly drawing inspiration from the art world."

Golan's jewelry is a beautiful blend of grand color and ancient symbolism.  Cultural symbolism, such as the Evil Eye and Hamsa (or Fatima Hand) is an integral party of Golan's jewelry. She devotes an entire collection to the Evil Eye, a protective symbol created to fend off the destructive force of envy.

Golan designs four variations of the symbol implementing varied color combinations such as deep red with aqua blue, sea foam green with antique gold, and hunter green with fuchsia.

Golan relishes the explorative aspect of jewelry design, "I love what I do, and I believe my success is due to that," she says. "I hope the joy I feel translates into the jewelry."

24K Gold Plated Five Panel Chunky Flower Bracelet
with Swarovski Crystals and Glass Beads
I really love the explosion of color rendered in her collections through the slightly muted tones of her Safari Collection to the vibrant tones of her Multi-Bright Collection. Her pieces are sold at Stylism.com.
_______________
Photo 1 (top right): 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...