Monday, January 24, 2011

GLORIA GAMIO ÁLVAREZ

Located near Lima, Peru is the port town of Paracas.  Known for its unrivaled beauty the locale bursts with scenery of rare birds, peaceful beaches and an ancient wharf.

The town is also a remnant of Andean independence and a conservatory for marine life.  Peru is also home to featured jewelry designer Gloria Gamio Álvarez.

Like Thailand, Mexico, and Indonesia, Peru is another location renowned for exceptional silversmith artisans. However, many Peruvian silversmiths have the added distinction of working with higher quality .950 silver.

Álvarez’ visually stunning and technically intricate work of silver pendants, and cuff bracelets reflects her deftness at metalwork as well as her love, and passion for jewelry making.

Since 1996, she has actively pursued training “to better my skills” ultimately cultivating creations inspired by flora, lace and labyrinths.

The complexity of the looping wire work that caresses sleek, silver beads, pearls or garnets; exquisite arabesque details; delicate spirals that become floral patterns or the transient pattern of a link necklace are striking. Her designer jewelry is a sheer expression of lucid creativity that is both elegant and modern.

“The art of jewelry was born in me while I was a child. I have always thought that working in jewelry crafting is not work at all—it is fun. I found my greatest passion in jewelry.”

For the last twenty years, with her own workshop, Álvarez takes time to teach others the craft she loves through missionary work. “I offer workshops for people in the community who want to learn something that will help them get ahead. I have assisted people with selling their products; this made them feel really good,” she says.

“After so many years of creating designs, I still feel that each piece fills me with satisfaction and the joy of knowing that someone else likes what I do.”
______________________
Photo 1 (top right): .950 Silver Spiral Melody BraceletPhoto 2 (bottom left): .950 Silver Rose of the Wind Necklace

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...