Monday, June 7, 2010

KETUT WIDARMA PUTRA

Indonesia's Lombok Island, with its assortment of cities, is a great place for exploration. Mount Rinjani, an active volcano, is among many popular tourist attractions, as well as Segar Anak Lake. Each city of Lombok holds a unique landmark surrounded by natural beauty. Indonesia is also home to featured jewelry designer Ketut Widarma Putra.

After many years learning various crafts, including silversmithing and woodcarving, Putra worked for a time making candleholders.

Surprisingly, however, he was not sure a future as an artisan was the right career path to follow.

"I liked making candleholders. I love creativity, but I thought it wasn't my destiny so I quit after six months," he recalls.

"A few days later, by chance, I was offered an assistant's job in the quality department of a silver company."

In time, Putra eventually became the department's manager and he later cultivated his own jewelry designs.

Employment with the company allowed travel to various countries including Australia, and the United States where the young artist compared "the art and jewelry in other countries".

Eventually establishing his own jewelry workshop, Putra contains cultural pride and the beauty of his homeland within streamlined, classic proportions.

"In my country, our handicrafts are extraordinary. I am very attached to Balinese culture, and I want to keep it alive as much as I can."

Putra's keen eye for distinguishing detail like repoussé, filigree, and oxidation bring to life traditional motifs of lotus blossoms and intricate calligraphic symbols.

Gemstones like amethyst, citrine, garnet, turquoise, and amber increase visual depth and idiosyncrasies. You are in awe of the striking artistry and differentiation.

"I am really happy with my life. I have a great job that gives me the opportunity to spread my culture everywhere."
______
Photo 1: (top right): 18-Karat Gold Plated Lotus Choker with Rose Quartz
Photo 2 (bottom left): 18-Karat Gold Plated Sterling Silver Innocent Lotus Earrings with Moonstone

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...