Tuesday, December 4, 2012

MELODY EHSANI

Acrylic Hologram Necklace with Candy
Coated Chain
The ancient city of Persepolis is modern-day draw because of its spectacular ruins.  

Located at the foot of the Zagros mountiain range in Iran, visitors can explore the Tomb of the Kings and the Gate of All Nations.  Iran is also the ancestral home of featured jewelry designer Melody Ehsani.

A native of Los Angeles, California Ehsani is a jewelry designer possessing imagination and unflinching nerve as she chose a career path that went against family tradition.  

Her choice was not steeped in youthful rebellion but a sincere desire to hearken to the prodding of her soul.

“I had applied to go off to law school like many of my cousins and friends but I knew this was not for me.  I decided to break with my culture and follow my heart into a field I was internally drawn to . . . design.

The more I designed the more it felt like the right thing for me to be doing.  I guess you could say that design is part of my divine blue print.”

Ehsani’s four-year-old fashion jewelry brand, Melody Ehsani, cultivated from laser cut acrylic, Swarovski Crystals and gold plating presents a bold, lively aesthetic.

Shapes are sizable and largely geometric in the form of upside down pyramids, giant hoops, tribal fans, guns and wild cats.  Even her floral-inspired orchid designs are cloaked within this substantial flair. 

Acrylic and Swarovski Crystal Stacking Rings
When I was gathering research material for Ehsani I kept seeing the term “hip hop” in relation to her jewelry creations.  These statement pieces lend themselves perfectly to the larger-than-life personas and flava of Nicki Minaj and Rihanna who are also fans of Ehsani’s line.

Creatively speaking, however, there is more going on in the collection of hoop earrings, cuff bracelets, and stacking rings than may be initially apparent.  

Her aesthetic is informed by the ancient and modern; urban as well as urbane.  There are styles influenced by the Maasai tribes of Africa, sleek Art Deco outlines and pre-Columbian influences.

“Hip hop was an inspiration in my first couple collections,” recalls Ehsani, “Hip hop is such an extension of my upbringing that it was inevitable for any of the pieces that I made to not contain some of its influence.

Ultimately my style is inspired by paradox, controversy; justice and pushing the envelope in showing that you can’t judge a book by its cover.”

Despite goose pimple inducing collaborations with Erykah Badu, red carpet shout-outs from Alicia Keys, as well as seeing her designs worn by the likes of Ciara and Keri Hilton, Ehsani is admirably grounded.

“I love my celebrity clientele and appreciate the fact they see me but it’s not how I measure success.  I design to upset the equilibrium.  I design to inspire.  I design to serve. 


Multi-Layer Acrylic Milky Way Hoop Earrings 
with Nautical Rope Etch
Inspiration is ever advancing. To me it is listening to the direction in which your soul is trying to guide you. I saw nobility in design and in turn finally saw nobility in myself and my gifts.”

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...