Tuesday, December 11, 2012

BUDHI YASA

Sterling Silver Mushroom Umbrella
Cocktail Ring
Taman Mini Indonesia Indah (a/k/a Beautiful Indonesia Miniature Park), located in East Jakarta, is an astonishing theme park that encompasses small zoos, gardens, and museums.  Indonesia is also home to featured jewelry designer Budhi Yasa.


The hands-on aspect of jewelry making—the relationship a jeweler has with precious metals and precious or semi-precious gemstones—is incredible.

For me it is immensely powerful and impressive to know that a jeweler has pierced, cut and soldered metal to produce a timeless piece of jewelry as opposed to a mass produced, machine-made item. 

Trained in the art of silversmithing by his wife, Yasa brings vivid elegance to his sterling silver jewelry designs.  I love the studied artistry Balinese jewelry artisans bring to each design whether dangle earrings, cocktail rings or cuff bracelets.

Though classic in their outlines Yasa creates designs that are expressive and lyrical highlighting the stunning complexity of granulation (Mushroom Umbrella Cocktail Ring); twined metal (Light of Wisdom Amethyst Solitaire Ring); arabesque details (Go with the Flow Wrap Ring); and the organic molten outlines of the Lava Rocks Ring.
Sterling Silver Illusion Pearl Drop Earrings

Wrapped within the cloak of idiosyncrasy and character Yasa is fully aware that he calls upon centuries of tradition in metalwork to produce his work; a fact he does not take lightly.

“I adapted a workshop in my house so I could teach those who wanted to learn silversmithing free of charge,” says Yasa.

“I want to share my experience with others so that they have better opportunities to provide for their families.  My hope is to preserve the legacy of artisans as well as the quality of their work. 

I now work with a team of active artisans, as well as my wife, and a few people from my neighborhood.

Sterling Silver Bali Romance Heart Pendant Necklace
Selling our collections through Novica.com allows my family and other families to have the opportunity for a better quality of life.”

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...