Wednesday, May 8, 2013

JAN LOGAN JEWELLERY

9K Yellow Gold Drop Earrings
with Phosphosiderite
Up for a long journey?  Well there are good seats available on the Indian Pacific railway.

The 65-hour trip travels across three states of Australia including Perth, Adelaide and Canberra.  Australia is also home to featured jewelry designer Jan Logan.

To me jewelry design that stands the test of time is comforting.  I think there is comfort in knowing that no matter how much your life changes something of discreet beauty will remain a constant.

Logan’s classic fine jewelry collections of 18-karat white and yellow gold, sterling silver, and gemstone jewelry easily provide that sense of well-being.

In addition to familiar fare like cross and heart necklaces, white gold engagement rings, and diamond jewelry there are sculptural 18-karat yellow gold and sterling silver rings; colorful gemstone necklaces of intermeshing hues of  light blue amazonite and dark blue jasper; and drop earrings highlighting exotic gemstones like Phosphosiderite a beautiful, smooth cut purple stone.  Logan covers all the right elegant notes of this pared down design style.

The Sydney-based jeweler began her career in a circuitous manner while working as a promotion officer for the Narrabri Chamber of Commerce.  The chamber’s president happened to be a top jewelry maker and the mother of three’s interest was instantly piqued.

“I found myself spending a lot of time in his shop.  I started suggesting ideas and he ended up offering me a 20% partnership.  I learned on the job.  I began organizing traveling jewelry shows around Australia. 

I kept track of the names and addresses of the women who bought from me so by the time I was ready to set up my own studio in 1989 I had quite a following.”

In the twenty-four years that followed Logan would enlist the marketing expertise of her son Angus who serves as Jan Logan Jewellery’s Managing Director.  Angus set up a jeweler’s workshop naming it after the late Carl Birlocchio who played a major role in its inception. 

“Carl was one of the finest jewelers in Australia,” says Angus.  “The workmanship and quality measures he helped introduce continues today to ensure that all pieces produced meet the highest possible standards.”

Having studied film production Angus also implemented his interest in feature films by building relationships with Australian and international filmmakers who requested jewelry for films.

Actor Elizabeth Debicki wearing 18K Gold Gatsby Ring (upper left);
18K Yellow Gold & Diamond Mini-Heart Bracelet (bottom right);
18K Gold & Diamond Gatsby Bundeena Bangle Bracelet (bottom left); and
9K Gold Gatsby Tassel  Earrings with Green Agate (upper right)
The brand also sponsors the Australian Film Institute Awards and in 2001 began selecting up-and-coming Australian female actors as “the face” of the brand.  Incidentally, last year the brand selected newcomer Elizabeth Debicki--who stars as Jordan Baker opposite Tobey Maguire and Leonardo DiCaprio in Baz Luhrmann’s The Great Gatsby--as its spokesmodel.  

As a matter of fact in 2011, with the release of Logan’s Pretty in Pink collection, the designer unveiled the “Gatsby” design in homage to F. Scott Fitzgerald’s classic novel of excess and tragedy.  Fashioned from 18-karat gold in charm, bangle bracelet and ring forms the signature focal point is a beautiful yet subtle cutout design resembling a Maltese cross. 

With concession stores established in Hong Kong and across Australia, collaborations with fashion designers like Akira Isogawa and Easton Pearson—not to mention a growing clientele of celebrities--Logan is thrilled with all the strides she has made.

“I never thought I would make a life of making jewelry.  I remember the days playing with my mother’s jewelry box.  I had such a wild imagination as a child I always thought I’d be a performer,” she recalls. 

“I keep my approach to design straightforward:  I design for myself.  If I am not comfortable in something, how can I expect someone else to be? 

I love timeless design—the durability of the materials.  There is intrinsic value in precious metals and gemstones. If you get tired of something you can always tweak it but it still remains a timeless piece.”

9K Gold Elliptical Pendant Necklace
2013 Jewelry Trend Alert:   For Logan the New Year gives way to the futuristic tones of sleek sterling silver; the gentle tousle of tassels; and the stunning colors of varied gemstones including this year’s green theme courtesy of green agate. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Such beautiful and splendid jewellery designs shown here.The jewellery is getting trendy day by day with some more colorful bead work.Nowadays girls prefer matching 18 karat gold jewelry as per their attire.

Carlotta said...

Thank you for your comment Bhupendra kumar. Hope you visit again.

Dream Comes Ture said...

Really nice article and helpful to me.
Want to Buy Exotic Natural Gemstones

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...