Sunday, March 25, 2012

MELANIE FALVEY | CHIC JEWEL COUTURE

Gold-Filled Sterling Silver Maharanee Necklace
Believed to have been built during the reign of emperors Nerva or Vespasian, Spain’s Aqueduct of Segovia is one of the country’s major architectural wonders. 

A total of 167 arches (some single others double) outline this magnificent structure.  Spain is also home to Melanie Falvey.

Falvey is definitely not a one-note designer.  Of British and Spanish descent, she freely draws inspiration from her mixed ancestry as well as other cultures to create stunning fine and fashion jewelry collections in pure and sterling silver, white gold, and 18-karat gold plating and gold fill. 

She does not rest on one aesthetic often blending the qualities of one with another.  “My designs are terribly eclectic.  I like working on several collections at once.  I love the challenge,” she enthuses.

Possessing kinetic creative energy since childhood Falvey has spent many nights working on sketches or putting a piece together.  “I try to combat that nighttime creative craze by keeping a notebook beside my bed.  So If I have an idea in the middle of the night I sketch it and go back to it in the morning.”

The commanding beauty of jewelry artifacts and sculptures is a huge influence on Falvey’s choker necklaces, cuff bracelets, stackable rings and men’s jewelry.  Ancient jewelry making techniques are central to her creation process as all designs are handmade. 
Sterling Silver and Pearl Corallium Ring

There is lots of organic texture and distressed forms.  Surface etchings with accents of delicate gemstones or glass beads complete the dynamic yet modern elegance of her jewelry collections.

One such example of Falvey’s prolific artistry is her gorgeous sterling silver Corallium Ring.  The shank of this coral reef-inspired piece resembles an extravagant crown with detailed openwork of textured, bubbled metal.  It is simply accented with a single, white pearl.  Exquisite.

“I have been making jewelry as far back as I can remember.  I have been a decorator and a wedding and event planner but jewelry making has always been a part of my life.  I am completely self-taught which is an expensive way to learn!

I launched my brand, Chic Jewel Couture, in 2009 and it went international in 2010.  I have received so much encouragement from critics and bloggers,” she says. 

“I am inspired by the poetry of Garcia Lorca, the Mediterranean Sea, Bhutan coins or a sculpture like the bust of Lady of Elche . . . that is what makes every single piece so absolutely unique.  Every piece is lovingly handmade.”
Gold Plated Sterling Silver Farah Earrings

Selections of Falvey’s idiosyncratic jewelry items are available for purchase online at Bottica.com.   Be sure to check out Chic Jewel Couture's Facebook page.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...