Tuesday, June 14, 2011

ANUSARA KONKAM

Pearl and Rose Quartz
Sweet Spirit Choker Necklace
There is plenty of gorgeous scenery to take in when visiting Thailand’s Phi Phi Islands including picturesque beaches, stunning coral reefs, and “limestone lookouts”.  Thailand is also home to featured jewelry designer Anusara Konkam.

The art of flower arrangement is important in Thai culture as are flowers in general.  In Thai culture exotic blossoms are an enduring symbol of beauty that embodies womanhood. 

Konkam’s childhood skill at weaving delicate blooms informs her lush, floral-inspired designer jewelry.

“I wove jasmine garlands in my free-time after school to sell in the morning market when I was a child.  They were the most beautiful blossoms,” she recalls. 

A self-described “natural woman,” Konkam loves growing flowers at her home and participates in local festivals as a sword and spear dancer, a noppra-mad girl, and she also plays the Sa bud chai drum.

Her bead and gemstone jewelry fashioned from freshwater pearls, amethyst, carnelian, peridot, rose quartz, silk, sterling silver and stainless steel epitomizes a soft, demure femininity.  The gentle hues of lucid glass beads and semi-precious gemstones evoke tropical settings to the point I can almost smell the sweet scent of blossoms.

“I feel love and pride for my artwork.  I am proud of my designs; proud of creating them; proud to wear them, and proud to sell them.  With some of my income I’d like to help conserve the natural world and the original Northern Thai culture that I love. 
Pearly Blossom Bracelet with White Pearls

In the future, I’d love to have a small shop of my own in which to sell my jewelry.  Now Novica.com is my little shop; open to all who love jewelry.”

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...