Friday, November 19, 2010

ISAAC PRADO

With such magnificent interiors as the Hall of Kings, and Hall of the Throne it comes as no surprise that the 12th century fortress, Alcazar of Segovia, is one of Spain’s top tourist attractions. Spain is the birthplace of featured jewelry designer Isaac Prado.


Most jewelry consumers routinely veer towards quickly produced, machine made baubles due to their affordability.

The jewelry is unquestionably stylish and fashionable; however, the inevitable wear and tear can come at a hefty price.

According to what I have read, in many cases machine-made jewelry designs cannot be adequately repaired without leaving behind unsightly scars rendering the pieces worthless.

While artisan cultivated jewelry is usually more expensive it is considered a long-term investment and repairs are often easily made without reducing the jewelry’s worth.

Though I do not own a handmade piece of designer jewelry (not yet anyway) I do love the intimate quality of hand cultivated pieces. I think the irregularity that is customary to handmade jewelry infuses the trinkets with unmistakable character.

Prado’s rustic yet clean collections of 14-karat gold rings, gemstone pendants, and gold cuff bracelets have that idiosyncratic beauty. The uneven textures of coiled, woven, hammered and twisted gold metal are tactual evoking the image of ancient jewelry makers with primitive tools.


I particularly like the twined rope look of several of his ring and bracelet designs. They remind me of the golden brown color and twisted shapes of breadsticks.

“When weaving the Woven Bracelet piece, I found myself thinking about ancient weavers using reeds, straw, or papyrus. I love conjuring up the same feeling in gold,” says Prado.

“The individual strands of the gold in this piece are symbolic; each strand influences the other just as we do as humans.”

Based in California, Prado’s slogan “amor y luz” (love and light) is a philosophy central to the design and creation process of his ready-made jewelry as well as his custom jewelry pieces. Nonetheless, imparting spirituality to his custom jewelry designs requires a close partnership with his clients.

“I believe in a naturalist approach to jewelry making, and a finished piece should have significant meaning. I think of gemstones as seeds. I cultivate them and nurture them until they are like blossoms.

As I get to know my clients we decide what spiritual elements to accentuate the finished piece. I feel like my main role is to help the client and the piece find each other.”
____________________
Photo 1 (top right): 14-Karat Yellow Gold Woven BraceletPhoto 2 (center): 14-Karat Yellow Gold Intertwined Ring with Diamond
Photo 3 (bottom left): 14-Karat Yellow and White Gold Moonstone Pendant Necklace

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...