Monday, July 12, 2010

DIANA PORTER

Wiltshire, England is the location today as we visit the mysterious circular stone enclosure known as Stonehenge.

The enigmatic monuments once served as a burial location, and a gathering place for neo-druids. England is also home to featured jewelry designer Diana Porter.

Since 1993, Porter has specialized in bespoke or custom-made jewelry. However, within the clean, subtle proportions of these particular jewelry items is the designer's captivation with the feminine mystique.

"I studied jewelry and silversmithing at the University of Central England in 1990, and I loved the History of Art part of the course and became passionate about investigating the history of women's involvement in the arts and crafts," Porter recalls.

"I was inspired by ancient images of powerful women, so my work is about women and assertiveness, wisdom, change, togetherness, and the spirit in all of us."

Eighteen - and twenty-four karat gold, sterling silver, platinum, and palladium provide Porter's canvas, while a palette of small diamonds, cubic zirconia, and Thai rubies offset the metals.

However, it is Porter's signature acid etching of words like calm, clarity, and fulfilled that bring the theme of womanhood to life. "Ultimately my jewelry is about the design suiting the form, and tiny precious moments.


Although the meanings of the etched words on my pieces are clear, I am also interested in the ambiguity of words. When you wear one of my rings etched with 'on and on. . .' is it about 'eternity' or 'interminability?"

Porter also counterbalances her sleek designs with naturalistic, organic details that include sandblasted, frosted and polished metal finishes.  The designer's deft ability at etching, central to most all of her collections, is without a doubt eye-catching. She etches words on the widest band to the thinnest bangle.

Her "partnership bands" consist of two or more rings or bangles that, when worn together, form a complete word.  The designer, who once dreamed of becoming an actor, savors her journey into the jewelry industry.

"My collections are in about 60 galleries and shops all over England, and in the United States of America," she beams.

"I have the shop of dreams. I meet lovely people who come from miles around to consult about commissions, and in 1999, I was awarded UK Jewelry Designer of the Year. I cannot believe how lucky I have been."
_________
Photo 1 (top right): 18-Karat Yellow Gold Partnership Band Etched with I Who Is YouPhoto 2 (center): Limited Edition 24-Karat and Sterling Silver Charm Necklace from Elements Collection
Photo 3 (bottom left): Sterling Silver Cuff from Bits of Wisdom Collection

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...